Gateway Housing - over 85 years of history!
Gateway Homes began life as Bethnal Green Housing Association in 1926, our first scheme at Queen Margaret flats was opened in 1929 and we still own and manage those flats today.
Over the following 70 years Bethnal Green HA continued to grow and following a series of mergers with other East London based Housing Associations we changed our name to Gateway Housing Association in 2008.
The name Gateway is a reflection of:
- our belief that decent affordable housing is the gateway into a good quality of life for people on below average incomes;
- Tower Hamlets having traditionally been a ‘gateway’ for migrant communities entering the UK;
- Gateway Housing operating in East London which forms part of the Thames Gateway region.
We predominantly operate in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets but we have a small stock holding in Hackney and Newham. The majority of our 2800 homes is social rent. Uniquely we are the largest provider of sheltered housing within Tower Hamlets.
We invest in community projects through the Betty May Gray Charity. We have a dedicated Resident Involvement Team who are leading the way in resident scrutiny. Academy 4 Housing is the community enterprise training company for which we are an investment partner helps get people into work. We also organise social activities to improve older people’s well-being and to improve the life chances of young people.
We also offer homes for market sale and shared ownership. You can view our homes for sale by visiting www.gatewayliving.org.uk
We believe that Gateway has a special role to play in supporting local communities to thrive; we want people to come to Gateway because we have a reputation for having the best homes, the best services, inspirational impact in communities, as well as being a great place to work where staff are supported and valued.
By 2015 Gateway aims to be:
- one of the best performing Housing Associations in and around Tower Hamlets, delivering high quality services to all our residents;
- a lead provider of older people’s accommodation in Tower Hamlets with a reputation for choice and quality;
- a highly effective and efficient organsiation;
- an ethical investor in people and properties.